Aleksandr Kuzmin / Getty Images
This summer has been a season of trying new hobbies and activities. Why not take a whack at making your own natural shampoo? We found this wonderful recipe from Birgit's Daily Bytes, which highlights one of the essential ingredients in our Awaken Body Butter.
Visit Birgit's blog for more recipes and crafts!
This shampoo will balance out the oils in your hair and enrich it with the anti-fungal, antibacterial, and nutrient properties found in the ingredients. It will leave your hair feeling incredibly soft, trust us.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- 1/2 cup of castile soap (Birgit generally uses Dr. Bronner's Citrus or Baby Mild)
- 3/4 cup of raw honey (she recommends raw unfiltered honey. She uses Nature Nate's)
- 1/4 cup authentic African black soap (optional - can be replaced with with more castile soap or any other natural liquid soap)
- 1 tsp of sweet orange essential oil (use no more than 1/2 tsp if making for a baby)
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla essential oil
- Combine all of the ingredients and put it into a shampoo bottle, that's it!
- Wet your hair, then massage shampoo into your hair and scalp
- A little goes a long way!
No need to pay special attention to the ends of the hair, the scalp is the important part.
Birgit notes to be aware of the transition period if you are switching from regular shampoos or even some organic ones. Your hair and scalp will go through a transitional period, where your hair looks dull or oily after the first few uses. These effects generally short lived as your hair and scalp adjusts.
Here's to happier, healthier heads of hair!