We recently discovered Kathy’s Vegan Kitchen, a vegan lifestyle blog that features health-conscious recipes, kitchen gadgets, and beyond. Today we’re sharing her most coveted vegan bacon recipe, Coconut Bacon, which highlights the main superfood ingredient found in our Coconut Oil.
Visit Kathy’s Vegan Kitchen for more healthy, yummy recipes!
First, you will need unsweetened coconut chips. Coconut chips are thicker than flakes, which will be better for maintaining the coconut’s integrity as you bake it.
Kathy notes that this 20-minute four-ingredient recipe is perfect as a topping on potatoes, pizza, sandwiches, salads, and mac & cheese and has the closest resemblance to the taste and texture of real bacon.
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut chips
- 3 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 3 Tablespoons Tamari or Soy Sauce
- 2 teaspoons Liquid Smoke
30 MINUTES PRIOR TO COOKING
- In an airtight container, add coconut and all other ingredients
- Put the top on the container
- Place in refrigerator for a minimum of 10 minutes, ideally 30 minutes, or overnight if planning ahead
PREHEAT OVEN TO 350 degrees (F)
- On a cookie sheet, cover with parchment paper
- Remove the coconut mixture from the refrigerator
- Give it one last shake, and using the top drain any excess fluid
- Place a single layer of marinated coconut on the cookie sheet
- Use a spatula to spread a single layer, attempting to reduce a thick layer
- Place in a 350-degree oven for 10 minutes
- Remove from oven; using a spatula, flip and move bacon around the pan, still maintaining a single layer
- Cook another ten minutes
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- Transfer to an airtight container
- Attempt NOT TO EAT IT ALL BEFORE putting it in the refrigerator
- Mac and cheese
- Baked Potatoes
- Tofu Scramble